My grandson turned five this month and he has a gluten free diet. Last time they came to visit I tried a new recipe a friend had shared (Thanks, Lynita!). It is for a chewy chocolate ball that he just loved. We call them Yum Balls. He thought they would make a good substitute for a birthday cake. Now that was the creative challenge! Picture these chocolate balls stacked up? Not an appetizing thought.
But Gramzee rose to the challenge and along with my Silhouette and the inspiration from the buggy wrapping paper, I created a "bug cake" made of Yum Balls! Perfect for a 5 year old boy!
- 1 cups almonds - shelled
- 1 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup coconut flakes (I used organic, unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Approximately 2 tablespoons water added slowly
- Put almonds in food processor and chop fine
- Add dates and chop fine
- Add coconut and cocoa powder and mix well
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of water and mix. Test. Add water until the mixture presses into 1" balls.
Alternatives: We have made them with prunes and apricots as well. I have also rolled them in confectioners sugar for a different appearance.
Happy Birthday Taylor!