It is constructed of paper, simply folded, cut, punched, lettered and stapled onto a ribbon. It took me about 1/2 hour to create the entire thing and it looks great!
Here are the steps......
First, it helps to have a supply closet. I can't imagine a DIY'er that doesn't. And I always keep a supply of interesting papers in my supply closet. I have found the Recollections paper packets available at Michael's ( no disclosure necessary - my own opinion) to be a solution to many projects. I keep them on hand - and often use the online Michael's coupon to get a new one.
- For this project I picket out 5-6 different pink and purple pastel papers. I cut each into a 12" x 5" rectangle using a paper cutter.
- I then cut scallops along the top and bottom. This paper is fairly thin so I could cut the scallops in stacks of 6.
- I then folded over the top 3" to form the upper tab.
- I used my heart punch and punched a heart on every scallop - both along the top and bottom giving the edge a lacy appearance. Other punches would work as well, even a snowflake design would look lacy.
- Using a fat black marker, I added some letters. I like freehand letters and when doing them for a light-hearted occasion, I like to add little balls to the ends of all letter strokes. It creates a fun font.
- I then cut a stack of simple flowers out of the same paper and glued on contrasting centers. (Forgot the photo! Sorry.)
- I also keep a stash of satin ribbon (again often a bargain at the craft stores). I chose one and stapled the individual letters with a flower for each onto the ribbon.
- Took a couple of thumb tacks and viola!
A Happy Birthday Banner for Mia!
Previous Posts of Interest
©2013 Ashbee Design, Marji Roy
Sharing this post at some of these link parties. They are worth checking out for other ideas.
Motivate Me Monday, Mop It Up Monday, Alderberry Hill, Metamorphis Monday, Tuesday Treasures,Today's Creative Blog, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Not Just a House Wife, The Inspiration Board, Romancing on a Dime, DIY Dreamer, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Transformation Thursday, House of Hepworths, Craftberry Bush, Jennifer Rizzo, One Artsy Mama, Craftionary, Flaunt in Friday, Tater Tots and Jello, Show and Tell Saturday, DIY Showoff, I Gotta Try That, Kathe With an E, The Girl Creative