I made this recipe for dinner last night. It pairs so well with the fresh corn on the cob and tomatoes available everywhere right now in New England. I originally created this recipe years and years ago based on a zucchini pie that won the Pillsbury contest. Other than still using the crescent roll crust the ingredients have changed dramatically.
Marji's Tomato Broccoli Crescent Pie
- 4 cups diced vegetables to include:
approx. 2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
approx.1/2 cup chopped onions
along with approx. 1 cup other possibilities - sliced mushrooms
or zucchini, or red and green peppers, or asparagus (or any combination)
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1/3 cup julienne sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs. dried basil
- 1 tbs. oregano
Cheese & egg mixture
- 1 cup egg beaters (or four large eggs)
- 1-2 cups grated cheese - I used mixed mozzarella and cheddar
- 1 8 oz can ref. Crescent rolls
- 2 TBS Dijon Spicy Mustard
- Preheat oven to 400ºf.
- Chopped vegetables and stir fry for about 3 minutes in olive oil over high heat to soften.
- Add sun dried tomatoes, and spices to veggie mixture.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly - about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile open crescent rolls, unroll and press into pie plate to create crust.
- Spread mustard over the bottom and sides of the crust.
- Mix egg beaters and cheese together in large bowl. Add to veggie mixture and stir together well.
- Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake for 25 minutes. Watch. You may need to cover edges with foil for last 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before servin
Previous Posts of Interest:
- Recipe • Chipotle Mexican Chicken Salad
- Recipe • Pulled Pork Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Apples
- Grilled Pizza
- Gifts that Keep Giving • a Recipe Book