Necessity is the mother of invention! We were without power for eight days because of the freak October snowstorm and as my freezer started thawing menus were based on what had to be eaten. My ingredients pointed toward Pesto chicken pizza but my cooking options were a grill or the top of the wood stove. I can happily report that you can make pizza in a grill!
We enjoyed it with wine and candle light. Delicious!
Pesto Boboli Pizza with Blackened Chicken
This recipe was created by daughter, Karen and modified by me
- ½ 7oz container of Buitoni Reduced Fat Pesto with Basil
- 1 Boboli Pizza shell
- 1-2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 Pkg McCormick’s Peppercorn with Garlic Marinade mix
- Garlic- 2 cloves minced
- ½ package sun dried tomatoes
- assorted veggies- red and green peppers, onions mushrooms, zucchini,
- ¼ t red pepper flakes
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions:(directions for grilling added in parenthesis)
- Preheat oven to 425˚- (We preheated the grill.)
- Create peppercorn marinade according to package directions- reduce all liquids by ½ if you want the peppercorns to really stick to the chicken breast and make them very peppery.
- Marinated chicken breasts in Peppercorn marinade from 20 -30 min.
- Grill chicken- a little under done.
- Slice in thin slices
- Slice veggies and sauté in olive oil and garlic until tender crisp. If using onions start those first and add peppers after onions are soft. Add sun-dried tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Sauté but don’t over do because everything will be baked also.
- Spread store bought pesto on pizza shell.
- Arrange sliced chicken around the edge pointing in.
- Spread veggie mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes – (Place on metal tray in grill with heat reduced to medium for about 15 minutes.)
- I put the shell right on the wire shelf rack to get a crispier bottom but you must put a cookie sheet on a shelf below. The olive oil in the pesto does run and smoke if you don’t catch it.
Previous Posts of Interest:
- Gifts That Keep Giving
- Passing it On. Being Creative Matters
- Celebrations • Quick Cake Decorating
- Chocolate This time!
©2011 Ashbee Design, Marji Roy