The nest was surprisingly easy to make. Into it I put some crumpled paper from a gift and several hand-blown eggs. It is a soothing, natural centerpiece. It makes me smile.
Here are some notes and photos on the process....
First of all, collect your driftwood. Being a crafter means collecting supplies when you see them, not necessarily when you need them. I always stuff my backpack with important items as we explore. David said I have to again share this photo with you of me hiking along the National Seashore. I am sure others view me as one of the "eccentrics". On second thought probably not. We were the only two on the miles of beach!
I had stored the collection of sticks for the winter and brought them down from the top of the garage to use.
I started by taking a kitchen bowl, turning it upside down and covering it with plastic wrap. The size of the bowl reflected the size of the sticks I had collected. I used one with about a 10" diameter on the rim.
Using hot glue to hold things in place, I started placing sticks on the bowl building an upside down nest.
The first few sticks I held as the glue cooled. The building took very little time.
My goal was to build a structure that would be strong and balance well when flipped over. I avoided placing sticks that stuck out too far always thinking about having some to form the base when I flipped it over.
I also was sure to put additional sticks into the area that would become the bottom of the nest.
Once I had enough sticks glued in place to create a strong nest like form, I took it off the bowl, turned it over and continued working from the top.
The structure was surprisingly strong because I was sure to have every piece glued to at least two others.
Once I had a shape I liked the density of, I used scissors to cut off all the hot glue streamers threaded through out the nest. I then added the crumpled paper strips recycled from a gift and three of the eggs I had hand-blown. Ihad already used Spackle to fill the ends (tutorial here) of the eggs so the blow holes are gone.
The project took only about 1/2 hour! (Well, actually longer because of the photography but would have been 1/2 hour if I wasn't blogging about it.) End results are very beautiful and time invested was small. Material cost was almost nothing because I used driftwood, recycled packaging and blown eggs from breakfast. The birds have started nesting here on Ashbee Hill although I haven't seen any sitting on their eggs yet. Ah, the glory of spring!
Come back and visit tomorrow because I decided to "dress-up" a few eggs as well and I'll share those steps with you tomorrow.
©Ashbee Design, Marji Roy
I will be sharing at these link parties an dlooking for new ideas