Yup - unfinished space on my main living floor. The room was always too critical to disassemble and finish. But this was the year!
And now, months later I now have a glorious, functional, practical space!
As you approach from the kitchen, you get a hint of the clean, crisp design.
Enter and a wonderful space is revealed.
Complete with tons of cabinets, a beverage fridge, stacked washer and dryer.........
And a hidden utility closet......
As a quick reminder for those that have been following, I first let you know that this was my BIG project for the year back in March. Is it really 9 months later? Here is a floor plan of my first floor with the laundry room highlighted in yellow. It is my utility room, laundry and pantry all rolled into one space.
Our house is a berm house built after the energy crisis in the 1970's. The back wall is below grade with no windows. If you look at the before photos you can see it is a concrete wall. This laundry room has no natural light so I went with bright white cabinets. There is no doubt that a skylight would be a wonderful addition but all the energy savings would escape right through that skylight.
Here is the floor plan of the changes I wanted to implement.
I knew from the beginning that this was not a DIY project. I was relocating all the mechanicals, expanding electrical capabilities and would need qualified tradespeople. I was the general contractor and went about making this dream a reality. If you are interested in the process and the story follow these links to posts from the past year.
Don't miss the other posts in the Landry Room Reveal:
- Laundry Room Reveal
- Laundry Room Reveal • The Cabinets
- Laundry Room Reveal • Ikea Hack • Kvartal
- Laundry Room Reveal • Ironing Board Solution
- Laundry Room Reveal • Specialized Storage
- Little Houses in My Laundry Room 1/21/2013 - décor update
- Rustic Décor with a Contemporary Flair 1/28/2013 - décor update
- Birch Tree Shadow Box 2/6/2013 - décor update
- Laundry Room Reveal • The Mistakes! 2/10/2013
Other Laundry Room Redesign Posts:
- 1. The BIG Project • Laundry/Utility/Pantry - A post about the plan!
- 2. Scary Laundry Room - details of the previous space
- 3. Collecting Laundry Rooms Ideas - what others have done
- 4. Laundry Room Progress - getting estimates, researching
- 5. Laundry Room • Fold Down Ironing Boards - possible ironing board ideas plus the first cabinet drawings
- 6. Laundry room Update • August Work begins, framing and sheetrock
- 7. Discombobulated • Laundry Room Update - September great progress but everything is still in the family room.
- 8. Laundry Room Update • Major Stall - Contractor disappears!
- 9. Laundry Room Door • IKEA Kvartal Solution - finally a solution to the sliding doors
- 10. Constructing Countertops - Marji and David take over and it does become a DIY project!
- 11. Laundry Room Again - Calling in reinforcements - final cabinets and trim work
Over the up coming holiday week I will continue to post a series of details about the new laundry room.... Like where is the ironing board? And the IKEA Hack! Check back as I share some of the decisions, some of the mistakes and the successes.
Still to go is the decorating. There are several blanks walls in there just begging for more creativity.
©2012 Ashbee Design, Marji Roy
Sharing this post at the following Link Parties:
Hope to see you there as well!
- A Bowl Full of Lemons
- Tuesday Treasures @My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
- Simply Sensational Tuesday @ Organizing Homelife
- DIY Dreamer
- Whatever Goes Wednesday @Someday Crafts
- Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby CreekCottage
- aka design
- House of Hepworths
- Between Naps on the Porch
- At The Picket Fence
- Fridays Unfold @ Stuff and Nonesense
- Tatertots &Jello
- Show and Tell Saturdays
- DIY Showoff
- Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
- Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog
- Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
- Sweet Sharing Monday @ Sweet Anne Designs
- The Inspiration Board