2010 - Flexibility
2011 - Lost Marbles
Traditionally we have taken one week in the summer but because I have retired from the day job I now have flexible scheduling as well. We decided to move Sculpture Week into the fall. It is such a beautiful time to be outdoors.
All year we discuss the possibilities. We collect ideas. We think about it. As time draws near we select a concept and research construction techniques. Sometimes a model is built to test out proportions or materials. That is where we are at in the process for 2012. David and I decided on creating a large scale string art construction this year. Today, I finished the scale model and it is a nifty sculpture in its own right.
Items under discussion are:
- Scale (How big can we go?)
- Technique (How to tension the cord)
- Color scheme (We want it to stand out in the forest.)
- Stabile or mobile (Do we suspend it so it can spin in the wind?)
My next post will show you some of the "How-To" steps in creating this scale model. Drop by again.
Update: I just posted the tutorial for this project here.
Previous links of interest:
- Photographic Study of Concrete Spheres
- Cement Balls Rolled Into Place • Part 4
- More on Ball Construction • Part 3
- Lessons in Ball Construction - Part 2
- Sculpture Week 2011 - Part 1
- Sculpture Week 2010
- Sculpture Week 2009
©2011 Ashbee Design, Marji Roy